Sunday, February 28, 2016

Scrap Liv, KCW #3

I love this skirt, made from the free Liv pattern and left over scraps of making four garments from four fat quarter jersery's that I got from Droomstoffen (here are garment one and two). Logically, I would blog about this skirt last, but I just wanted to show you this one so much.


I had several small scraps, and I started with putting those small scraps together by the quilt-as-you-go method. The idea behind the method is that you start with two small pieces, take your rotary cutter and cut two straight sides (one on each piece). Sew those two straight sides together, re-cut the combined piece such that it has a straight edge (and the two previously sewed pieces are both are a part of that straight edge), and sew that to a third piece (with a straight cut edge).


Creating the first side of the skirt (which ended up as the front) was the easy part, I just sewed small pieces together, and went with it. For the second part, I was out of really small scraps and actually had to cut tiny pieces myself (which was surprisingly more difficult than just using small pieces). When I had two sizeable pieces, I just cut the two Liv pattern pieces and sewed them together. I decided against adding pockets (I know, I was surprised too). I feared pockets would be too much.


I had planned to make the waistband in one color, I managed to cut a piece just big enough. But, I lost track of the piece and ended up cutting a piece from the waistband to add to the skirt. This led me to re-puzzle a waistband together. I am very satisfied with the patched waist band, it is even better.


You can find all four fabrics, and many more black and white versions at Droomstoffen! I am in love with those penguins, I had only a few tiny pieces left (after making this garment, and the one that will blogged about later), but I really wanted to use them, so they actually inspired me to go for a quilted look. The free Liv pattern is available both in Dutch and English.

I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).   

12 comments: