Friday, February 26, 2016

Zozo tunic, KCW #2

Yesterday, I told you about the black and white fabric I got from Droomstoffen, and today I am showing you another sew I made with one of those small pieces. I made a Zozo, it is a free pattern from Blaverry. Of course, I hacked it slightly.


The Zozo has a triangular shape, giving a nice drape on both sides. I foresaw that the drape on my 80 cm tall girls would not be ideal, so I went for a high-low tunic look. The front is still a horizontal line, but the back is curved.



It was a challenge to cut the dress from the small piece, but by turning the fabric 90 degrees (so actually cutting in the wrong direction) and splitting the back in two, I succeeded. The fabric has a great four way stretch, so cutting the fabric in the other direction was no problem. I turned the fabric, because this way the triangles were facing the same way (to the side) both on the front and back. If I would have cut the fabric in its normal direction, the triangles would have been up on the front and down on the back.



The back seam is not perfect, but it is pretty close to being invisible, only at the top the triangles became trapezes. I had not thought about an invisible back seam while cutting, I had made sure the triangles were on the same height, but the other dimension I did not think about well enough.


I had cut the dress a bit short, even for a tunic (the pattern piece looked so long to me that I had cut it shorter), so I decided to add a visible black line at the bottom. This way I even added a bit of length, instead of loosing some by hemming. I think it really nicely frames the garment.


She had been wearing that pink necklace all day, and it really was the perfect accessory to the dress. She was also the one who decided it would be a great belt too. This black and white fabric is totally in line with the typical Blaverry style. You can buy the fabric here and the free pattern can be downloaded here.


I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).   

20 comments:

  1. Deze vind ik super!!! Is het moeilijk aan te passen naar hoog-laag? Zou dat ook eens willen proberen voor de dochter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nee was helemaal niet moeilijk, ik tekende alleen een ronde achterkant, voorkant veranderde ik niks aan.

      Delete
  2. Tof! Bedankt ook voor de patroontip! Dat doe je goed in zwart en wit, wel een beetje buiten je comfortzone, of niet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ja zwart wit is duidelijk geen vaak geziene combi hier, maar ik vind het leuk om uit mijn comfort zone te komen.

      Delete
  3. Super leuk!! En uber gestyled ook.

    Dank voor de tip, zeker downloaden :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dit is echt een leuke!!!
    Heb dat patroontje ook in mijn pdf-bib zitten... toch eens overwegen om te gebruiken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, it's gorgeous. The fabric is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, heel leuk! Modelletje staat super bij de stof!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik had de zoom achteraan niet gezien, prima gelukt wat mij betreft! Erg leuk jurkje.

    ReplyDelete