Saturday, February 13, 2016

Margrath dress, our Valentine's celebration

Tomorrow is Valentine's day, an ideal occasion to show you this dress with a sweet heart neckline. The Margrath dress from Sew Much Ado was released yesterday. This surprisingly easy sew was the perfect garment to finally use one of the prettiest Soft Cactus fabrics I ever bought.



Nine years ago, my husband me and signed our pre-marriage contract on the 14th of February (a formality that has to happen at least two weeks before the actual wedding) the date was purely coincidental though. I have little connection with Valentine's day, only that administrative formality makes the day a bit special. In the Netherlands it is mostly a commercial day. I will use any excuse to sew though, so this day I kind a celebrate Valentine's day by making this dress.



You can make the dress either with these two (front and back) color blocked bodice sides or with uni fabric bodice parts. When I saw the pattern I thought it would be hard to make the curves, but it was not. The pattern lets you baste the curves, clip and just sew it on the other part. Pretty genius I have to say.


The pattern uses an exposed zipper, but you could easily adjust it to a blind zipper. One of the testers did it and it looked very pretty. My back is slightly asymmetrical, but because of the exposed zipper, it is not that obvious, so that is an added benefit of a wide zipper. I bought this zipper in a random colored package from Ali Express.


The fabrics are from the second collection of Soft Cactus and I immediate fell in love. I liked the print so much that I never really found the perfect project. Of course, I should have aligned the fabric slightly different, such that one line of shell middles would have been the middle of the bodice. But with this imperfection I still like the end result a lot.



As usual I added pockets to the dress, these are not in the official pattern, neither is the plush animal. This girl was not going outside to please her mother, so inside pictures it is again. I just got a speedlight for my birthday, so inside pictures should become better in the future. The pattern is on sale for 7 dollar (excl tax) until February 20th and you can buy it here.



I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian). 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, geweldig, prachtig stofje ook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoewel ik het voor de prijs niet hoefde te laten, durfde ik er echt niet in te knippen :)

      Delete
  2. Dat is nu eens een heel mooi patroontje! En perfect de kleuren gecombineerd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De stoffen hoorde natuurlijk samen, dus geen lof voor mij daarover, maar ik blijf de combi super vinden.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for helping test, you were a huge help! I love how she looks in her dress, and love her personality, hehe! And yay for a speedlight - I use mine a LOT, and it is a lifesaver so so often!

    ReplyDelete